So I am happily rediscovering my playful side; not taking myself seriously and just going with the flow.
My Soul just loves living in a musical or a Bollywood film.
I let my inner child out when I balance a spoon on my nose, bounce on a trampoline, jump up onto a low wall and walk across it instead of just using the path. I twirl around unexpectedly, or take a little skip as I walk down the street or in a park. Grabbing a friend's hand and running is so much fun, especially if they're not expecting it! 9/10 times they'll start running (and laughing) along with me. I love doing cartwheels, and whenever I come across a large enough lawn I will always do one, just to make sure I still can.
I've always been able to laugh at myself when I did something silly and would do so in front of others, but then in the privacy of my own home I'd chastise myself for it. Now I don't bother with that nonsense. I laugh off my mistake, shrug my shoulders and move on. Life is too short to get bent out of shape over a little mistake, and I'm not perfect! Yes sometimes I might use the wrong word, burp in public, trip over an imaginary ruffle in the carpet (I'm sure that was there!), knock my knife off the table with a big clang at a restaurant (hey I never said I was co-ordinated), but all-in-all life is fun if I can laugh at my foibles and little slips ups, dust myself off, and carry on.
I talk about unicorns and fluffy bunnies because life doesn't have to be so serious all the time, nor real! I can conjure up an imaginary land and explore it. Daydreaming and creativity is very good for our well-being, health, and happiness. There are studies and everything to prove it! So there! I'll probably give you some references in my next blog (which is alllllll about creativity) - not 'probably' I will do that, *note to self.
- Pull funny faces in the mirror until you laugh, or take a selfie of your funny face and send it to your bestie
- Next time you're with a group of friends, take group photos of you all pulling certain facial expressions or emotions. Some friends and I used to do this all the time and laugh at our ridiculousness. We never got tired of it!
- Instead of walking in the park, skip!
- Look for four-leaf clovers and make a wish when you find one
- Go to an amusement park (upside down rollercoasters ain't really my thang, but if you want to pretend we're Wash and Mal on the flying scooters then I'm up for it!)
- Tickle fights, pillow fights
- First one to the door races
- Dinner party and game night (twister, charades, table talk cards, whispers, wii sports)
- Wade through leaf piles in Autumn/Fall
- Have that cupcake or two, or three
- Read those goofy dad jokes or mom texts for a giggle. There are so many online funnies to discover - from practical jokes, to cat videos. I'll post some links belowâ¦
- Watch the viral laughter videos, and kindness videos reminding yourself of the joy in the world
- Do a laughing meditation - easy peasy, just start laughing, and if you do this with friends it becomes contagious, you can't help but laugh!
- Play with animals, really get down on their level and just play and have fun
- I lost my cat of 17 1/2 years a year and a half ago and haven't replaced him, so whenever I visit friends or businesses with cats I always make the most of sneaking a cuddle or a play with their cat. Animals are so uninhibited and we can learn a lot from their laxed attitudes!
- Do something creative. I make jewellery, draw, write poetry and stories, make memes, take photos of the flowers, birds, and bees
- If you have children or nieces/nephews then really spend time playing with them at their level, asking to hear their viewpoint on a certain topic rather than trying to teach them something. Their take on the world is so innocent, imaginative, and amazing. They'll probably end up teaching you something!
- Flip a coin to make a decision and stick to it
- Wear a unicorn hat!
- Go off recipe and see what happens! Sometimes it works, not always, but the process is the fun part - I often throw extras in just because I can
- Try the Persian or Ethiopian restaurant next time instead of the standard American fare. That's where I'll be!
- Night classes! Yes, I learn for fun! I've done oodles of night classes and there are so many to choose from - cooking, languages, pottery, dance - whatever tickles your fancy
- Get purposefully lost on holiday and just explore wherever you end up. I like to see how things unfold, meet locals and fellow travelers, rather than planning excursions. It is way more fun to just fly by the seat of your pants in a (safe) foreign land and spontaneously fill the day with little adventures.
- The next things on my list are remastering trampoline flips, and doing a jump while ice skating without arsing over!
- I also plan to leave little messages on cafe tables for the next customers or wait-staff to discover
If you have any crazy ideas comment below, and please keep me posted on your progress with playfulness. I'd love to see your funny faces photos on my facebook page! Come join me there. www.facebook.com/fionalouiseauthor